Monday, July 27, 2009

Kid Consumers Rock

I love kids who are just starting to shop with "their own" money. They might be 7 or 8, learning the real-world ways of addition and subtraction as they count out cash and get change back, like the brother and sister who came through my line the other day.

Bro had picked out a small wooden craft kit and some candy, and his total came to $2.99. We worked out that he had a dollar bill, 4 quarters, and additional quarters/dimes/nickels to make up three bucks. I put his money in the till, handed him a penny back, and ceremoniously presented him with the small bag that was now legally his. With a big grin, he walked over to his mom and announced, "She gave me money back!!!"

Sis, a bit older, had one item -- costing exactly one dollar. She was proud that she'd found something she liked and not spent all her money. She also confided that she was ready to hit the next store. (It's a female DNA thing. There's no fighting it.) I handed over her very own, separate, bag. Hey, you can't go green all the time.

Another girl, probably 12 or so, came in recently to power shop. The complete mini-woman: sundress, sandals, hair drawn back in a ponytail, purse slung over her shoulder. Grabbed a shopping basket and was off to the races. Eventually she came through the line with the essentials -- mini writing pads and multi-colored pens, jewelry-making kits, cotton embroidery floss for friendship bracelets. I can't tell you how much she spent, but she'd made good use of the dollar bins and marked-down items.

She fished her wallet (complete with saved receipts) out of the purse and expertly counted out the greenbacks. I gave her the change, another receipt to save, and a coupon for the following week. Big smile from her and, "Yes! A coupon! Will my mom get one too when she checks out, 'cuz then we'll definitely be back!"

Yeah, those freshly-minted shoppers are all right. They've made it past how-can-you-possibly-keep-dragging-me-thru-this-store-and-that's-why-my-legs-don't-work-anymore. And the look-I'm-16-and-you're-a-totally-boring-Old-Woman-who-should-just-like-hurry-up-and-let-me-leave-already-OMG! milestone is still way out on the horizon.

No comments:

Post a Comment